Saturday, February 18, 2006

Return of the Recreant Blogger & a Meme

Dear Reader,
There was a time, not so very long ago, when I could place myself in front of a computer screen and write. Armed with only a giant mug of coffee, a reasonably well-stocked wordhoard, this outrageously expensive typewriter, and time, I could express my ideas confidently and well. Alas, those days are over. Ideas are now hard to come by, and I seem to have misplaced my nouns. For this sorry situation, I blame philosophy. For when I read philosophy slowly and well, taking time to contemplate existing in a world in which two plus two equals monkey (per the philosopher's instructions), I short out all my favorite neurons. In this state, choosing the level of milkfat I want to include in my coffee confounds any further attempts at reason that day. It is for this reason that I have been quite absent from the fun side of the internets. If you have been angered by my absence, find your friendly neighborhood philosopher and give her a good whack upside the head.

~Heo

And Now For Something Completely Different ...
The Meme of Five

Instructions: Remove the blog in the top spot from the following list and bump everyone up one place. Then add your blog to the bottom slot, like so.

1. Ultimate Writer
2. Golgotha_Tramp
3. FrankenGirl
4. Holly at Self-Portrait as
5. Heo Cwaeth

Next select five people to tag:

(Um, in my absence, everyone I know seems to have completed this meme. If you're still reading, and you haven't done so, consider yourself tagged. We're on the honor system here, people, don't let me down!)

What were you doing 20 years ago?
Trying to work out the following age-old conundrum: If we know that boys have cooties, and suddenly we enjoy the company of clearly cootified boys, does that mean the shots didn't work?
Shouting "Mo-ooom, what matches with neon yellow?"

What were you doing ten years ago?
It was the year of the weddings and the new tradition of Girls Night Out, which then led to the unexpected tradition of cotton-mouth Saturdays.

What were you doing 1 year ago?
Teaching, studying for the GREs, and deciding to devote my free time to reading through the entire Western Canon. I'm still in Greece, by the way.

Five snacks you enjoy:
1. Butter Pecan Ice Cream.
2. Brownies.
3. Toast and hot cocoa.
4. Popcorn!
5. Blueberry flavored anything.

Five songs to which you know all the lyrics:
1-5. Think Sondheim. Can't get better snark than in Sondheim.

Five things you would do if you were a millionaire:
1. Buy a great, rickety old house with good bones.
2. Fix it.
3. Pay student loans.
4. Hire a cleaning person to deal with dusting. Oh, how I hate dusting!
5. Wonder at the diminishing power of a million dollars.

Five bad habits:
1. Smoking. (I'm working on it.)
2. Getting lost in my own world.
3. Anticipating tomorrow's worries today.
4. Grudge-holding. This is the story of an angry woman...
5. Making excuses for all of the above.

Five things you like doing:
1. Talking to friends.
2. Hanging out with the family.
3. Playing with the children of friends and family. Children are like mini joy factories, it's amazing!
4. Travelling.
5. Deciphering text written in dead or moribund languages.

Five things you would never wear again:
1. Neon yellow.
2. Fingerless gloves.
3. High heels. (I'm 5'10." I don't need lifts.)
4. Glitter.
5. Tube tops.

Five things that scare you:
1. That I'm willing to incur debt and gray hair to obtain this degree, which will immediately upon completion diminish my salary prospects for the remainder of my life.
2. This week, Greenland.
3. Religious extremists.
4. That we have FOUR 24-hr news stations, and we still aren't given the news.
5. Blind optimism.

Five favorite toys:

1. My CD-player
2. My computer, when it behaves
3. My car, when it behaves
4. My books.
5. My voice. I can do neat stuff with it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I seem to have misplaced my nouns."
Heo, please help yourself to some of mine. No, no, not a problem, glad to be of help, in fact, please take them , please please please, so that I don't have to write textnotes on them, here, do you want uág, toeb, nuabair or athlech? I've got some spare verbs too that i'd rather get rid of, if your interested.

"In this state, choosing the level of milkfat I want to include in my coffee confounds any further attempts at reason that day."
I always say that if I have two things to do on a given day, it stresses me out completely. So I wake up, and brush my teeth, and then that day is totally screwed.
Struggle on babe!
Kicki

Heo said...

Kicki,
Those are indeed some cumbersome-looking nouns. Egads!

Natalie Bennett said...

I have a perfect solution to dusting. Don't do it. Well maybe once, or twice a year - no more. (Although personally my bug-bear is making beds. I really can't deal with tucking in the corners. There may be Freudian reasons for this - my grandmother used to tuck me into bed so tight I couldn't move.)