Monday, August 07, 2006

This Blogging Mini-Hiatus Brought to You by Simultaneous Northman and Celt Invasions into My Territories

Yup, the whole famdamnily is visiting, en masse. So, last week I was unwilling to start any electrical appliance that generated even half a degree of heat (Character-rich old buildings don't have air conditioning.), and this week I'm entertaining the barbarian hordes from which I acquired my excessive height, weird eye color, and odd personality.

I most humbly apologize for my absence from the 'sphere, and leave you with some moderately good news to ponder. My University, upon learning that I was moving to the private sphere after all the drama of last year, has offered me not one but TWO full-year positions IN WRITING. Each offers tuition support, a stipend, health benefits, free parking, and a full 12% of that old closet that they've made into a Teaching Assistant office. So, on the happy side, I have some degree of security. On the less happy side, they're sucking me back in!

6 comments:

Bardiac said...

Glad to have you back! (And things seem to be getting a bit cooler all over, temp-wise, at least.)

Ancrene Wiseass said...

I'm glad they've seen the light and are acting less like jerks. And I'm really glad you're going to be staying in academia.

Hooray!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Um, I think.
I hear the heatwave's breaking, too. Good luck with the rellies.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the dough and the cubicle! At least you have options, yeah? I sound like my mother...good luck with that btw!

Frank said...

Congrats! With some stability and guarantees, maybe things will be better this year. And you can always tell them to shove it if it doesn't work.

Heo said...

Thanks, guys. I actually think this job will work out wonderfully, because I'll be doing work I really believe in. Always good to come home at the end of the day feeling like the world is better for having you in it. I'll be working with underprivileged folks trying to narrow the gap between their educational readiness and that of their overprivileged peers. And they're paying me for a job I've been trying to volunteer for! Suckers.